In conjunction with the Project Director, the Project Manager is responsible for developing and maintaining the design, planning, and implementation of educational publishing and technology projects. The Project Manager ensures that all aspects of the project are delivered on time, on budget, and to the highest standard of quality. He or she is also responsible for managing and collaborating with project team members (Six Red Marbles employees, contractors, and consultants), allocating and utilizing resources in an efficient manner, and maintaining a cooperative, motivated, and successful team. Specific Duties, Activities, and Responsibilities:
● Lead the design, planning, and implementation of the project from beginning to end.
● In collaboration with the Project Director and functional area Directors, facilitate the definition of project scope, project goals, deliverables definition/identification, level of effort, risk assessment, scheduling, resource and staffing, budgeting, change management, communication planning, and acceptance criteria, etc. both internally and with clients.
● Follow predefined project management methodology for planning, tracking, quality management, and communication.
● Work with clients to develop and document business, functional, and technical requirements.
● In collaboration with the Project Director and relevant functional area Directors, evaluate work breakdown structure to estimate effort and time required to complete each task. Communicate agreed upon time on task metrics to project team members and track internal hours spent against the project budget.
● Work with Directors to assemble internal staff and freelancers. Contract and actively manage freelance resources, including approval and tracking of assignments, deadlines, and invoices.
Budgeting, Forecasting and Reporting
● Develop and maintain the project budget.
● Track project expenses against project budget and forecast remaining expenses to determine potential overages. Collaborate with Directors to strategize prevention/mitigation of overages.
● Report regularly to the Project Director and other stakeholders on project milestones, financial status and other needs as determined at project initiation.
● Effectively manage project scope, minimizing changes by ensuring any changes to scope are documented, communicated and managed through the change management process.
Leadership and Communication
● Serve as the primary contract for all project communication, internally with the project team and externally with the client
● Anticipate, identify, and document issues on the project; collaborate with the team to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the project lifecycle.
● Proactively lead, coach, and motivate project team members across all disciplines.
● Communicate project status to the client and internal project team on a regular basis at intervals defined during project planning stage and as needed to meet client requests.
● Keep Project Director and internal stakeholders apprised of any risks to the project schedule, budget, or deliverables as soon as they become apparent. Collaborate with Project Director to communicate risks and/or issues and their resulting solution to the client.
● Hold regular internal and client status meetings as necessary. Set meeting agenda with input from the team and circulate minutes/notes following every meeting. Keep all meeting participants focused and on task to maximize efficiency.
Desired Skills and Experience:
● Must be well organized, detail oriented, highly analytical, and possess strong problem solving skills
● A background of developing and coordinating project plans along with a history of completing projects on time and budget
● 3+ years of related project management experience and able to manage several projects simultaneously
● Excellent customer service skills and strong interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written) across all levels, internally and with clients
● Proven ability to effectively manage internal and external teams
● Demonstrated ability to perform well under pressure, self disciplined
● Proven experience of project management processes and methodologies, tools, and infrastructure
● Experience working and collaborating with cross functional teams/matrix management
● Must be able to enforce deadlines in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
● Proficient in data analysis and experience using one or more database query tools
● Experience designating work assignments
● Strong leadership skills and a customer service focused attitude
● Experience troubleshooting and resolving problems in a timely manner
● Must have a solid understanding of development workflows as they apply to the web, cloud, UI, and backend systems
● Experienced with using bug tracking (preferably JIRA), project management, presentation, and configuration control packages
● Experience managing software development projects and development lifecycle.
● Knowledge of the education (Pre K–12 or higher ed) or publishing industries a big plus